Aluminum Demand Up Through Three Quarters
By Metal Center News Staff
on Dec 1, 2022
Aluminum demand is up 6.3 percent for the year to date in the United States and Canada, the Aluminum Association reported. Growth in the third quarter continued the strong demand trends indicated in the first half of the year.
“We are glad to see steady demand growth for North American aluminum, which is some of the cleanest aluminum in the world,” said Charles Johnson, president and CEO of the Aluminum Association. “As we strive for a more energy-efficient future, our metal continues to provide innovative solutions and competitive advantages for businesses and consumers.”
Other facts from the quarterly report show:
• Aluminum demand in the United States and Canada (shipments by domestic producers plus imports) totaled an estimated 21 billion pounds through the third.
• Demand through the third quarter approached record demand levels for the industry last seen in 2018 and 2019.
• Although demand for aluminum in Q3 2022 declined 2.1% from the second quarter, the Q3 total of 7 billion pounds was an increase of 7 percent over Q3 last year.
• Flat-rolled products (sheet, plate, and foil) saw demand increase 8.4 percent year-to-date through September.
• Aluminum exports of semi-fabricated products to foreign countries have increased 17.7 percent from 2021.